Red Maple - Acer rubrum

The Red Maple (Acer rubrum) is a relatively common tree species in Eastern North America. It also goes by the name Scarlet Maple in reference to the bright red color of its spring leaves. The images in the post come from the "Early Forest - Native and Exotic Tree Seeds" blog whose author Craig graciously gave me permission to use some of his images. If you are interested in beautiful tree seeds or cones for ornamental or craft projects I would encourage you to check out his blog.
The seeds of the Red Maple are samaras in a dual "helicopter" arrangement. Clicking on the image below will take you to a site were you can purchase these seeds in small packets like the one in the image.


Other Maple trees that I have posted about are the Big Leaf Maple, the Vine Maple, the Boxelder Maple, Sycamore Maple and the Montpellier Maple.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I am trying to identify a type of tree I saw while out walking along the Niagara Parkway

    ReplyDelete